Reports to: Director of Operations / Job Superintendent
Employment Type: Hourly (hours may vary per project and season)
Equipment Operators are responsible for running a variety of equipment including, but not limited to a; bulldozer, backhoe, excavator, skid loader, dump truck, as well as other equipment. The individual in this position is required to work at all times with safety in mind. Must be able to read, understand, and follow company policies and procedures related to safety, and attend all scheduled safety meetings, as well as competent person training, MSHA, and OSHA.
- At least three years’ experience operating heavy equipment preferred.
- Experience operating equipment in both standard and high-risk areas, such as, areas with live utilities.
- Have knowledge of utility depths and placement of underground utilities.
- Possess general knowledge of construction practices and familiar with equipment, including routine service and maintenance. Service maintenance includes but is not limited to; washing, maintaining fluid levels, tire pressures, and greasing equipment, etc.
- Must respect the importance of ensuring Company assets (vehicles, equipment, tools, materials, etc.); are properly and continuously maintained in good repair and secured in a safe and secure manner.
- Experience with the identification of marked utilities.
- Familiarity with blueprints, blue stakes and the identification of marked utilities.
- Organization of material and other resources is necessary to complete excavation requirements, which may include basic hand tools.
- Must know safety requirements for confined spaces. This position may require work in trenches, manholes, tunnels and confined areas.
- Must possess a valid Class “A” CDL license, with a clean driving record and be both insured and insurable. If you do not possess a CDL you must be able to obtain one in first 90 days of employment.
Empire Construction is a licensed State contractor; ALL employees must pass a Level 4 background check and pre-employment drug screen.
The minimum physical requirements that you must meet in order to perform the duties of an equipment operator are as follows:
- The ability to climb up and down ladders, lifts, and equipment.
- Have general knowledge and ability to identify and use basic hand tools.
- Ability to work in ALL weather conditions; this includes extreme temperatures ranging from -20° to +110°.
- Team Player: Promote and work in a team environment to achieve desired objectives.
- Company Advocate: Must consistently be a strong advocate of the Company, and always foster a positive image to all.
- Critical Thinker: Able to observe, analyze, and take appropriate action to identify and correct potential workplace safety issues, hazardous behaviors and other areas of potential risk.
- Effective Communicator: Must be able to lead, give direction and guidance while assessing situations at hand and verbalizing any associated risks.
- Goal Oriented: Possess a strong desire to “do what it takes” to achieve documented goals and objectives.
- ”Business Head”: Must be willing to be flexible and accepting, understanding that business needs and priorities can often change.
- Hunger for Learning: Must always be eager to learn and grow, willing to accept direction and suggestions from any number of sources, as learning opportunities.
Successful candidates are those who seek to thrive in an environment of operational excellence and accountability.
We offer a competitive hourly wage based on experience and a 90-day review along with excellent benefits once minimum hours are met including: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long and short term disability, life insurance, and 401K retirement.
If you have a team spirit and want to be a part of a growing company, we are looking for people like you. Email a resume to Mark Nealon at email@example.com, call for an application (712) 623-9435, or mail your resume to: Empire Construction and Trenching, Inc. 1665 200th Street, Red Oak, IA 51566 Attn: Mark Nealon.
Empire Construction and Trenching, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.