Performs a variety of tasks involving physical labor on field drainage work, farm field terracing, roadway, highway, and heavy construction projects. This position may require the employee to travel depending on the location of the project.
Reports to: Director of Operations / Job Superintendent
Employment Type: Hourly (hours may vary per project and season)
- Perform general clean up and site preparation.
- Lift, carry, and hold building material, tools, and supplies and deliver each to the appropriate location as needed to complete the task at hand.
- Perform a variety of functions such as: dig, minor demolition with power tools and hand tools, install forms and tie steel, mix and pour concrete, clean and seal joints, assist welders and other craft workers, clean and paint steel and concrete surfaces, repair structural steel members, and erect and disassemble scaffolding, shoring and other temporary structures.
- Assist in traffic control activities and work zone barricade placement.
- Follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Foreman and/or Superintendent on site.
- High school diploma, general education degree (GED), and / or past construction experience is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with materials and methods used in earth moving / land improvement construction. Ability to communicate with others to convey information effectively.
- Ability to understand instructions and work specifications.
- Must be knowledgeable of safety procedures and practices.
- Must be accustomed to working outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions.
- Must be able to perform physical activities that require considerable use of the arms and legs and moving the whole body such as: climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, kneeling, bending, and handling of materials, equipment, and tools.
- Must wear appropriate safety equipment as required by the company.
- Must be willing and able to travel and work out of town on various job sites.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license or government issued identification card.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment: drug screening and background check.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete and comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
The minimum physical requirements that you must meet in order to perform the duties of an equipment operator are as follows: The ability to climb up and down ladders, lifts, and equipment. Have general knowledge and ability to identify and use basic hand tools. Ability to work in ALL weather conditions; this includes extreme temperatures ranging from -20° to +110°. In addition, at times, you may be required to work in trenches and confined areas.
- Team Player: Promote and work in a team environment to achieve desired objectives.
- Company Advocate: Must consistently be a strong advocate of the Company, and always foster a positive image to all.
- Critical Thinker: Able to observe, analyze, and take appropriate action to identify and correct potential workplace safety issues, hazardous behaviors and other areas of potential risk.
- Effective Communicator: Must be able to lead, give direction and guidance while assessing situations at hand and verbalizing any associated risks.
- Goal Oriented: Possess a strong desire to “do what it takes” to achieve documented goals and objectives.
- ”Business Head”: Must be willing to be flexible and accepting, understanding that business needs and priorities can often change.
- Hunger for Learning: Must always be eager to learn and grow, willing to accept direction and suggestions from any number of sources, as learning opportunities.
Successful candidates are those who seek to thrive in an environment of operational excellence and accountability.
We offer a competitive hourly wage based on experience and a 90-day review along with excellent benefits once minimum hours are met including: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long and short term disability, life insurance, and 401K retirement.
If you have a team spirit and want to be a part of a growing company, we are looking for people like you. Email a resume to Mark Nealon at email@example.com, call for an application (712) 623-9435, or mail your resume to: Empire Construction and Trenching, Inc. 1665 200th Street, Red Oak, IA 51566 Attn: Mark Nealon
Empire Construction and Trenching, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.